Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Doctor Appointment

Just so you can keep up, I had a doctor's appointment last Tuesday and everything went pretty well.  Unfortunately I lost 5 pounds, and my uterus was measuring a bit small, but ultimately they did an extra ultrasound and determined that Sevyn was growing right on track. 

Today I received a phone call from my doctor and we had a few moments to go over her evaluation of the ultrasound and where I am at in this pregnancy.  (I knew for the most part that everything was fine with Sevyn, as our sonogram lady told us so, but it was nice to hear it straight from our doctor's mouth.)

We learned in the sonogram that Sevyn is in the 48th percentile in growth, so she is a little bit small.  Her legs are measuring a little short too, but she could either have a growth spurt, or will just be short like me!  :)

Our doctor told us today that as of Tuesday (last week) she weighed approximately 4lbs 12 oz.  She is about a half pound light of normal standards, but she is still within acceptable weight limits. 

I wasn't really sure how "pregnancy anatomy" actually worked so I had to ask her a couple questions.  Most notably if my uterus doesn't grow, will Sevyn run out of room to grow and that trigger labor.  I know that she is perfectly fine to be delivered right now as she is fully developed and just using the last few weeks to gain weight, but I like to know if there is something I should be aware of (i.e. her coming sooner than the 19th of Jan.)  Our doctor said no, she will continue to grow, and most likely my uterus will continue to grow.  She said that I am just currently carrying the baby differently and that is why the measurements of my uterus are off.   So again nothing to be concerned with. 

The only thing she said I need to do is focus on gaining weight, and we will just see how things go.  

Jim and I are discussing inducing Sevyn a bit early.  Our doctor said we could induce as early as one week prior to our due date, so she could come as early as Jan. 12th.  The hospital will allow us to actually schedule the induction two weeks in advance, so if we decide to induce we can get it on the books as early as December 30th.  

That's it here.  Sevyn's foot is protruding about 2 inches out of my right side, so we are very uncomfortable at the moment!


No comments: