Friday, July 23, 2010

Sevyn Update & Doc Appoint.

Wow can't believe Sevyn is already 18 months old . . . where has the time gone?

She is growing up to be a really fun little girl, and Jim and I both think this has been the BEST age yet! Sevyn is so talkative, communicative, and active . . . she really keeps us on our toes.

We went to the doctor for our 18 month appointment, and she immediately started to cry when we headed back. That's not normal for her, so apparently she remembers what the doctors office is all about . . . shots!

The nurse took her measurements. She is 20.7 pounds which places her squarely in the 3rd percentile. That means 97% of kids her age are heavier than her. I swear we feed her! Jim and I both thought she had gone through a growth spurt, and was much heavier, but we were wrong. She has only gained 1 pound in 6 months.

She is an inch taller than she was 6 months ago, and sits in the 46th percentile. Looks like she is going to maintain my height and weight . . . she has her mommy's body type, and looks like her dad!

She has recently started school/child care 5 days a week. In a few weeks, I will start working as a full-time high school teacher, so we have started her a bit early in child care to get her adjusted. So far so good! She loves her teachers. We love the school. And she finally started napping. They have also managed to get her to drop the paci, so we have followed suit and she is now not sleeping with one at night time. Whew! I thought it was going to be traumatic, but it was pretty easy. (Three nights in a row with no paci.)

While at the doctor he mentioned to us that we need to start potty training. About that time Sevyn said the words "I poopy." For her that means she is about to poop, not that she has pooped. The good ol' doc said to go ahead and take advantage of that and start working on potty training. I am eager to get her out of diapers, and drop that expense so I am all for it. We are slowly going to introduce her to the potty, let her sit on it in the morning, before bath, whenever she wants. Once we have a "success" then the sticker chart goes up and we start the reward system. (All recommended by our pedi.)

I am excited about this as our baby girl is growing up so fast!

Ok, a few other things about Sevyn. Her speech is AWESOME! She communicates very well, and even the pedi said that she is communicating on a 2 year old level. Its always nice to hear that your child is doing well on the developmental scale. I am so pleased with what Sevyn can say and do.

Some of my favorites are phrases like, "here you go, mama," "I don't want that," "night night, baby," etc. She probably has 10-12 phrases like that she can say. She does well with commands too. I can tell her to "throw it in the trash," and she will do it, or "shut the door," etc. She also has GREAT manners, "please" is said on command, "thank you" she voluntarily says (especially at drive-thru windows) and "excuse me" when she is plowing her way past me. (That one can be a bit annoying, but its cute regardless.)

Overall our little girl is doing fabulously! We are so excited about the 2nd half of her 2nd year of life! (Guess I better start planning her birthday party . . . . just kidding!)


No comments: